“Gibraltar Race” and “Alps Tourist Trophy” are Adventure Challenge
to which the following Technical Regulation applies
All motorcycles and quads suitable to be used on and off road, of any engine displacement and year of registration, are eligible.
Only vehicles that are road legal in the Country where they are registered may participate.
All papers, plates, periodic overhaul and insurance must be valid in the countries crossed minimum 7 days after end of the race. Otherwise the pilot can not take part into the challenge and then he will be disqualified.
Furthermore, he will not be allowed to follow the route of the race. No refund will be made.
The following checks will be made at the first bivouac on all the motorbikes (quads) participating
The positive overcoming of these verifications is an essential condition to participate into the race and to compete in the rankings. Even during the challenge such checks could be repeated on the motorbikes (quads) of the participants, untill the arrival at the finish line.
Checks before (during and after) the race:
- number of cylinders and size of the front wheel (motorbikes only);
- correspondence between the chassis numbers and the license plate indicated on the registration certificate and those on motorcycle;
- correspondence between the tire sizes indicated on the registration certificate and those installed on the motorbike (there is no limit on number and type of tires used);
- approval and periodic overhaul valid minimum 7 days after the end date of the race;
- insurance and/or Green Card valid for all the countries crossed and expiring minimum 7 days after the end date of the race;
- in the case of motorcycle not owned, original of the owner’s authorization to drive the motorbike abroad written at least in English;
- the 3 labels with race number must be installed and visible. One has to be placed on the front and must be the first one visible from above and the other two will have to be placed one per side on the motorbike;
- the front and rear lights must work. The stop light must work and it has to be activated by at least one among the lever to the handlebar and the pedal;
- the horn must work properly and it has to be activated by the button on handlebar;
- the rear view mirror, one minimum, must be mounted on the motorbike;
- the exhaust silencer is free, but it may be subjected to a sound level test to verify compliance with the limits set according to the procedures indicated below.
Sound level test procedure:
- measurements must be carried out in a suitable environment, away from obstacles such as walls, canopies and artifacts capable of reflecting sound, possibly avoiding directing the exhaust of the motorcycles towards surrounding houses or areas with public presence;
- for uniformity, all measurements must take place in the same position and, in the presence of wind, the exhaust must be oriented in the direction of the wind (wind in favor of the motorcycle);
- the values of the measurements must be expressed in dB (A) with whole value;
- in the event of rain the phonometric measurements cannot be done;
- the pilot, to which Race Direction requires to submit his motorcycle to sound level test at the end or during the event, must do so without delay and without leaving the motorcycle from the place indicated for the performance of the test; lacking or late presentation of the motorcycle at the sound level test will be sanctioned with exclusion from the ranking;
- place the sound level meter on a support in a horizontal position at a distance of 2 m from the central contact point of the rear tire at a 45 ° angle from the longitudinal axis of the motorcycle, on the side of the exhaust, at a height of 1.35 meters from the ground; for motorcycles with only one exhaust pipe the measurement will be made from the side of the exhaust, for motorcycles with 2 exhaust pipes, the measurement will be carried out from the side of the air intake; if the air intake is in the central position, measurements will be made from both sides;
- the ambient sound level must remain at least 10 dB (A) lower than the overall noise in the sound level area, estimated at 80 dB (A). The sound level meter must not have solid obstacles within 10 meters from the microphone;
- the measurement is made with the motorcycle on its wheels and with warm engine;
- during the test, the pilot or the mechanic must support the motorcycle by placing it to his left (handlebar) keeping the clutch disengaged.; the sound level operator is positioned at the height of the handlebar on the right side.; no person should stand between the exhaust and the microphone of the sound level meter;
- the sound level operator will open the throttle control quickly to the end of the run (within 0.3 seconds). It will keep the engine at maximum revs for at least 1 second, making sure that the engine actually turns at maximum and / or an audible condition of overspeed occurs; finally, the operator will quickly release the command;
- if the result exceeds the limit in the presence of a post-combustion detonation, the operator will repeat the measurement up to a maximum of three times; in the presence of detonations, the measurement must be repeated;
- for motorcycles without a revs limiter, the accelerator must be opened at maximum less than 2 seconds and / or when an audible condition of overspeed occurs;
- if the motor rotation speed is audibly lower than a possible maximum rotation, it is necessary to check the RPM limiter value with a revs counter; an attempt by a competitor to prevent its engine from reaching its maximum speed (RPM) will be considered contrary to the regulation and sanctioned with exclusion from the event;
- if the engine can be operated with more “mappings” of the control unit, the expected noise limit must be respected with all the “mappings”;
- during the measurements the throttle control is limited only to the sound level meter operator, which will open the command in person to minimize the influence of any another operator;
a) The tolerance of + 1dB (A) at the limit value must be applied to the pre-race measurements.
b) No tolerance is provided based on the ambient temperature.
c) In the measurements made at the end or during an event, the additional tolerance relative to the “degradation of the silencer”, equal to + 1dB (A), must be applied;
- the sound emission limit for the Gibraltar Race and Raid, net of tolerances, is 104 dB.
Administrative scrutineering before the race
The pilot must submit during administrative scrutineering:
- valid driving license;
- valid passport or ID document;
- information form on health status filled and signed (delivered at starting place);
- recent medical certificate attesting good health;
- disclaimer form filled and signed (delivered at starting place);
- a picture will be taken at the time of delivery of the race number to identify the pilot;
- full name and a photocopy of identity document of each component of any private assistance registered (lacking this, the bracelet for access to the bivouac can not be issued);
- make, model, type and license plate of any registered vehicle of private assistance (lacking these, the identification labels with numbers on a green background can not be issued);
- for the pilots the use, under penalty of disqualification, of the ID bracelet (provide by the organization) is mandatory.
Every day at the start of the stage
The pilot must check to have with him:
- personal documents;
- documents of the motorbike;
- the bracelet to acces to the bivouac of the Gibraltar Race;
- GPS tracker (balise) turned on and working;
- GPS logger turned on and working;
- GPS device or app turned on, working, with the GPX file loaded and track record function ON;
- mobile phone fully charged, able to make and receive calls in areas crossed and with the number “SOS GIB RACE” stored;
- a chronometer;
- 1 liter of water minimum;
- energy bars, chocolate or other similar;
- disinfectant, plasters, bandages and the necessary to stop minor bleeding or to protect small wounds and minor grazes;
- multipurpose knife;
- surgical mask or other suitable for protection from Covid-19.
In case of lack of one or more of the above mentioned elements the pilot will not be allowed to start the stage, his departure will be postponed after the last competitor and the corresponding penalties will be applied. Provided that in the meantime he is equipped with the missing items.
The organization reserves the right to make changes and additions to this Regulations and to communicate them via the official website of the event www.gibraltarrace.com or by email or by Whatsapp official race broadcast sent to the registered riders.
These emails will have to be considered an integral part of this Regulation.
For any clarification or further information you can write to firstname.lastname@example.org