everything you need to know
Gibraltar Raid is the Adventure on a motorbike open to all riders from every Country that are at least 18 years old and that own a driving license valid for the motorbike they ride.
GIBRALTAR RAID in a nutshell
You can live the incredible experience of seeing Europe on often unknown road and off-road routes by following a gpx track with your navigation device. All this by sharing the atmosphere and the bivouacs with the pilots involved in the Adventure Challenge number 1 in Europe.
To participate you need your own GPS navigator device or a suitable navigation app (please contact us for further details).
Before the start of each stage the track of the day will be provided to participants in a file in GPX format. This track will be divided into two or more parts. Each part must be completed within a period beyond which the assistance of the ambulance and the rescue vehicle will no longer be guaranteed.
The position of each rider is monitored with a GPS tracker (balise), used as a safety device, provided to the participant by the Organization.
The entire route for the pilots and people involved in the Gibraltar Raid will be open to traffic. For this reason it is mandatory to respect the traffic laws and rules.
There will be the following two types of routes:
1. The raid route: normally for participants, for some organization vehicles, for registered assistance vehicles (as specified in the General Regulations), for medical assistance.
2. Shorter paved road from bivouac to bivouac: for organization, logistics and some assistance vehicles, in order to travel from one bivouac to the next.
All motorcycles suitable to be used on and off road, of any engine displacement and year of registration, are eligible.
After the start of the pilots involved in the Gibraltar Race, the starting order of the participants in the Raid will always match the registration order and consequently the adhesive number plate to identify each participant. It will say “NO RACE” next to the number.
There are only the following three types of assistance:
1. From the organization, included in the registration fee: provides for the recovery of the broken or damaged motorcycle. The rescue truck will transport the motorbike to the next bivouac.
2. Private Team Assistance: some teams will offer their paid services to Gibraltar Raid participants. Their list with the services offered, costs and contact details will be available in the correct section.
3. Individual or group assistance: at the time of registration or no later than 30 days before departure, it is possible to register one or more vehicles and one or more people to assist individuals or groups of motorcyclists by paying the additional fees specified in the correct section.
The service is carried out with 4 × 4 ambulances with paramedics and doctors and with the mobile medical unit at the bivouacs. Rescue of the pilot and transport to the nearest emergency room, diagnostics and emergency interventions and, if necessary, the repatriation (through an agreed insurance). However, it is advisable to have a personal accident insurance policy valid for abroad.
Luggage and Spare Parts
The organization will transport from the bivouac to the bivouac, at no additional cost, N. 1 crate (dimensions 80x40x40 or 80x35x45 cm for a maximum weight of 30 kg.) For each participant. The crate can hold personal items, clothes, tools and spare parts for the motorcycle.
Any additional crates can be carried on request (sent no later than 30 days before the start of the Gibraltar Raid). The cost is Euro 100 for each additional box. Any other baggage of different shapes and sizes will not be carried.
Although Gibraltar Raid takes place in Europe it is recommended that the motorbikes have a minimum range of 150 kilometers. There are many petrol stations, we recommend that you refuel when possible (it is possible almost everywhere using credit or debit cards).
Overnights and meals
Overnight stays in double room (single room available and with a supplement), breakfasts and dinners (drinks not included) are included in the registration fee.
Motorsports are dangerous.
The organization does its best to prevent accidents. To mitigate their severity we recommend the following warnings:
– always keep in mind that the entire route is on a public road open to traffic
– reduce speed on difficult routes
– possible known pitfalls are reported along with waypoints.
For a successful event the pilots must remember to:
- do not exceed the limits for safe driving
- both where the path is natural and where it is paved, it can have pitfalls not normally present in your country of origin
- do not follow other competitors and abandon navigation or you will risk losing yourself
- it is mandatory to consult the Whatsapp broadcast (for this purpose it is necessary that the emergency number +39 3245445344 is stored in your mobile phone) at least once every 90 minutes to check if there are any communications relating to safety or obstacles and consequent changes in the route to be made.
In the event of an accident, prompt intervention depends mainly on the pilots:
- first of all you must use, where possible, the health emergency button on your GPS locator (balise) and your mobile phone to call the Organization at the “SOS GIB RACE” number. The emergency number is delivered on the first day with the identification bracelet.
- describe the type and severity of the accident and report the number of the nearest waypoint and the possible distance from it based on GPS informationin case of lack of cellular coverage, if possible, move to or reach the next waypoint.
For these reasons it is mandatory to have with you during the Gibraltar Raid the minimum safety equipment indicated in the General Regulations and a charged and switched on mobile phone.